The Significant Writing program at HHS involves writing a minimum of 8 process writing pieces per year. A process writing piece is defined as an essay (narrative, informative, or argumentative) that goes through the complete writing process: planning, drafting, editing, revising, and publishing. To qualify as Significant Writing, a piece must be read at least twice by a teacher (rough draft and final draft), and it must be thoroughly edited and revised by the student. This will also frequently involve peer editing, which allows students to workshop their writing with other students, and to learn both from others’ feedback and from reading others’ writing.
General Writing Tools
Semester 1: Modes Focus: Analysis
- Essay #1: Personal Marketing Unit
- This is our first project in the Fall: Write a cover letter, or an essay for college applications or scholarships.
- Essay #2: Poetry Analysis Essay (Renaissance Period)
- Essay #3: Satire Analysis Essay (Rhetorical Analysis)
- Essay #4: Murder Mystery Assignment