- Short Stories
- “Macs” by Terry Bisson
- “BD 11*1*86” by Joyce Carol Oates
- Film and TV
- Star Trek (TOS): “Space Seed”
- Fringe: “Unleashed”
- Blood Music by Greg Bear
- Ethics Lifeboat Activity
- Research/Discuss general info, issues, current events (online discussion via Schoology.com)
- Jigsaw Assignment (group project)
- Gattaca Essay
Articles and Topics:
- What is Genetic Engineering?
- “Editing the Genome…” MIT article about new methods for editing the genome. 3 Jan 2013
- Viruses are now “alive” Feb 27, 2013
- NPR: Geneticists Breach Ethical Taboo Oct 24 2012
- TED: Allan Jones discusses the structure of the brain and current science on the human genome’s interaction with the cells of the brain (nature vs. nurture). (Video of TEDTalk July 2011; 15 min)
- Nature vs. Nurture: OWN video on youtube about Dr. Nancy Segal’s 30 year study of twins who were separated, then reunited. Nov 13, 2011
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues: The Human Genome Project (.gov site; last updated Sept 16, 2014)
- Short Story: “*BD* 11 1 86” by Joyce Carol Oates
- Eugenics in America – our deep, dark secret. Apr 29 2004 report on the treatment of “feeble-minded” children in the early 1900s.
- NPR story about Eugenics in the US; updated 2012
For current events in the world of Genetic Engineering, check out the following:
- Scientific American‘ s Biotech page (Note: While most of the articles will be relevant, not all biotech is necessarily genetic engineering–be selective when reviewing this page)
- Popular Science on “Flipping the Switch in a Common Virus“
- A Google News search
Subtopics for Jigsaw Assignment:
***ALL GROUPS: please note that this is a very modern science, and while some of these issues peaked in relevance and popularity in past decades, most are still developing today. I have posted the articles below to get you started, but please go out and do your own research–new articles are posted daily on many of these topics!
- UK Introduces Details on 3 Parent Babies– 2014
- The Case Against Perfection – Atlantic Monthly, April 2004
- Hooray for Designer Babies!
- Five “designer babies” created for stem cells
- You Tube video Designer Babies — comments by Princeton professor Lee Silver
- Cloning Ethics: Separating Science from Fiction (Dec 2003; article covers myths about cloning that persist today, particularly in pop culture and science fiction)
- Neanderthal Rights: The morality of resurrecting our closest evolutionary cousins Feb 17, 2009
- An animated version of the classic “I Think I’m a Clone Now” by Weird Al (with apologies to all of you)
- Cloning — Why all the fuss? (youtube video featuring Lee Silver; 10 minutes; Sep 21, 2006)
- After reading Greg Bear’s Blood Music, click here on Inner Life
- Neither Gods nor Goo! – Nanobots!!
- Nanopunk takes its place alongside cyberpunk, steampunk, and biopunk
- Give us your DNA!
- Buckyballs in your $300 face cream??? Listen to Safety of Nano-Cosmetics Questioned
- The Science of the Very, Very, Very Small
Synthetic Life & Synthetic Biology:
- Craig Venter Unveils Synthetic Life (TED Talk)
- Is Synthetic Life Dangerous?
- Artificial Wombs (Popular Science)
- What is Synthetic Biology?
- Synthetic Genomics (Wikipedia)